Monday, September 8, 2008

Garlic Shrimp with Citrus Lime Dipping Sauce


I am pretty much crazy about shrimp. It’s one of my favorite foods yet it’s rare that I make it (I think I assume I will have to do much more work to make it a solid meal). After making this dish though I think I will put it on the menu much more often. I originally made this recipe as an appetizer, but it definitely could easily be paired with rice and a vegetable or even added to the top of a salad and there you have it -- a main course.

Shrimp:

  • ½ lb. shrimp, peeled and deveined

  • 1 clove of garlic, minced

  • Small handful of cilantro, chopped

  • Salt and black pepper

  • Cayenne pepper to taste (I just sprinkle a little on the shrimp to give it some heat)

  • Oil


Sauce:

  • ½ cup orange juice

  • 1 tbsp lemon juice

  • 1 tbsp lime juice

  • 1 tbsp corn starch mixed with ¼ cup chicken broth


In a skillet, heat a couple tablespoons of oil on medium heat. Add garlic and sauté for about 30 seconds (you don’t want to burn the garlic). Add shrimp (seasoned with salt and peppers) and cilantro and cook until shrimp is pink. Remove from heat and set aside.


In a small saucepan, heat remaining ingredients on medium heat until just boiling. Lower heat and simmer about 5 minutes. This allows the sauce to thicken a bit. Serve in a dish beside shrimp.

Note: If you want to make this recipe as a main dish you will need to at least double it. You can also modify the sauce into more of a dressing if you add olive oil and leave out the cornstarch.

Adapted from a recipe by Robin Miller

No comments: