Thursday, August 21, 2008

Breakfast for Dinner



I used to love having breakfast for dinner when I was younger and I thought this would be the perfect night to curl up on the couch, watch the Olympics, and relax with a plate of warm pancakes. I love putting chocolate chips in my pancakes - I think I learned about this from a friend when I was camping in Elementary school and I have rarely eaten a pancake without them since. I also have some leftover blueberries from the muffins I recently made so I had to make some pancakes with those in there too. If you are not a fan of chocolate chips or blueberries, add your own favorite or just have the classic pancakes with maple syrup.

  • 1 1/4 cups flour

  • 2 tbsp sugar

  • 4 tsp baking powder

  • 1/2 tsp salt

  • 1/8 tsp freshly ground nutmeg

  • 2 eggs

  • 1 cup milk

  • 1/2 tsp vanilla

  • 4 tbsp butter



In a small saucepan, combine the butter and milk. Place over low heat just until warm and the butter is melted. Let cool slightly. In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt; mix well. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs with a fork. Whisk in the milk mixture. Add the dry ingredients and mix just until barely blended.


Heat a skillet on medium heat, ladle batter onto the skillet. If adding in blueberries, chocolate chips, or any other topping -- sprinkle on to batter and quickly pour a small amount of additional batter right over it to slightly cover topping. This helps keeps the toppings from burning.


Cook, until bubbles break the surface of the pancakes, and the undersides are golden brown, about 2 minutes. Flip and cook for an additional minute or so. Remove from heat and continue with the rest of the batter.

1 comment:

Cate said...

I grew up on breakfast for dinner and I LOVED it! Unfortunately for me, my mom wouldn't let us have chocolate chip pancakes, except on our birthday.