Friday, August 8, 2008

Swedish Pancakes

I am not a huge breakfast person at the crack of dawn when I get up in the morning. The thought of eating massive amounts of food when my stomach is also just waking up is just not very appealing. To me, breakfast before work is a granola bar or quick bowl of cereal prior to running out the door to make it in on time. But on the weekends, when I have ability to sleep in and take my time this recipe really hits the spot.

Growing up I would help my mom make breakfast-in-bed for my dad on special occassions. My dad really loved pancakes and since I was too young to use the stove, my mom would let me measure out and mix the ingredients for the batter. One thing that always stuck in my mind was that dad liked his pancakes thin ... really thin.

So when I found this recipe for swedish panacakes he was my first thought. No longer would I just water down the batter to make it thin, the recipe did that for me. Needless to say I'll probably be over making my dad pancakes whenever he wants.



  • 4 eggs

  • 4 cups milk

  • 2 1/2 cups flour

  • 1/2 cup sugar

  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

  • 1/2 cup melted butter

  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

  • 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg



Beat the eggs lightly in a large bowl, and add the milk, flour, sugar, and salt while gently stirring until blended. Stir in the melted butter, cinnamon and nutmeg. Cover the batter and refrigerate overnight or up to 2 days.

Heat griddle and pour a thin stream of batter in a circle onto the hot griddle to make a 6-inch pancake. Cook about 20 seconds, flip, and cook another 20 seconds until done.

Top with your favorite pancake condiments. Serve immediately.

Original recipe courtesy of FoodNetwork

No comments: