Thursday, January 29, 2009

Spinach Salad



I didn't used to be very fond of spinach. I thought it tasted like what the leaves off of a bush in the backyard probably tasted like. If it was concealed in a sauce or chopped finely and added to a casserole I didn't care because I couldn't taste it. That has definitely changed ever since I tried out this salad. My aunt brought it over for a potluck football party that we had for the Rose Bowl and I have been making it myself ever since. Its really fresh and light and so versatile you can add any of your favorite salad toppings.

  • 1 bag Fresh Baby Spinach

    • (they sell this at Trader Joe's for $1.99 pre-washed and ready to go)

  • 1/4 cup pine nuts

  • 1/3 cup feta cheese

  • 1/3 cup dried cranberries

    • (I don't like fruit in my salad so I leave this out)

  • 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil

  • 1 1/2 tbsp balsamic vinegar

  • 1 tbsp dijon mustard

  • 1/4 tsp kosher salt

  • 1/4 tsp fresh black pepper

Mix the dressing ingredients together with a whisk and pour over the spinach leaves. Toss together until evenly coated and then add pine nuts, cheese, and cranberries and toss. Serve immediately.

Note: If bringing this to a party, potluck, lunch, etc. mix dressing and keep in a small bottle or tupperware container and the spinach, nuts, cheese, and dried cranberries in a separate bowl. Shake dressing right before tossing with salad ingredients.

No comments: